I love to read, and one of my favorite books in the “self-improvement” section is The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom.
I won’t go into too much detail, but the author states there are 4 things you should do to be a better human and have a better life.
- Be impeccable with your word.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Don’t take things personally.
- Always do your best.
In thinking about how I can apply those values to UX Design.
- Being impeccable with your word. Is the text necessary? Does the text help the user? I had a professor who once said— “Never write what you want to say. Write what people need to hear”.
- Don’t make assumptions. Don’t assume everyone is going to use your product as intended. Use data to validate theories, get in there and do some user testing with actual people.
- Don’t take things personally. You are not your customer, design to help them achieve their goals easily.
- Always do your best. What can we do to increase performance, perception, or profitability?